Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How long was my Chromebook meant to last?

Dear Chromebook, 
how you have changed. Gone is the pretty, rubbery surface. You are tarnished and I really don’t care anymore if there are ugly fingerprints on your shell. The keyboard begins to feel flimsy. I don’t have use anymore for that special search button and want my CAPS key back. You have been updated with several software updates, yet I can’t really tell what you can do better than what you did on the day we first met. The excitement of the first weeks has disappeared and our relationship has become a routine of compromise. Are we meant to stay together?


I have no doubt that this software is the most powerful new technology ever seen on a notebook (Chromebook). But it's the Chromebook that's the problem. I don't agree with all of the things that Conceivablytech mentions here. For example, he does go and correct himself, the fact that this is only a beta device comes into play. Let's think about the 3G that Verizon is so kind to provide. Two years is a pretty long time for a device that is meant to be taken around town every other day. In my opinion, these Cr48's won't last that long. All of us Pilot users will have to go and buy the released Chromebook. That would suck... Waiting in long lines like the iPhone's? Not fun, and not always worth it (we see bugs like the Antenna issue in iPhone 4 that Apple was reluctant to correct with a case). Speaking of cases, where are all of the 12.1' sleeves?

As nice as our Beta friend, the Cr48, is, he won't last forever.

But, I am glad to know that Google is so serious about Chrome OS that they are giving them out in the GDC.

No comments:

Post a Comment